Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wisp

Posted by pandapirate 
Wisp
March 05, 2013 09:03PM
Why did he stop releasing music apart from the odd tune here and there...
Re: Wisp
March 05, 2013 10:11PM
Cause he signed to rephlex and they have a lazy as fuck attitude to releasing shit?
March 05, 2013 10:38PM
what's rephlex?
March 06, 2013 01:52AM
I'd love to hear some new Wisp.

His early netlabel releases still crush it IMO. (especially the SAW II reworks EP)

[wisp.kaen.org]
March 06, 2013 04:02AM
wellcom
what's rephlex?
haha
March 06, 2013 07:12AM
my fav is quest for excalibur- goes great with any video game, whot?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2013 07:12AM by hoonami.
March 06, 2013 02:35PM
wellcom
what's rephlex?

an overhyped label that releases generic acid and whenever they do all the hipsters love it
March 06, 2013 02:40PM
they should release more seefeel.
March 06, 2013 06:47PM
His SoundCloud has some great tunes... [soundcloud.com]
March 06, 2013 10:38PM
wellcom

Thought they were signed to Warp?
March 07, 2013 02:39AM
Ppl talkin' shit 'bout Rephlex like they're yesterdays cake, but if they released 10 albums on CD in 1 month, it'd prolly be pretty epic.
March 07, 2013 11:38AM
amongst hipsters yes
March 07, 2013 11:39AM
dude check out and subscribe my brand new youtube druqks tracks sped down 75% pitched up 40%

aphex twin call me maybe mashup

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2013 11:41AM by CharlesWatkins.
March 07, 2013 12:25PM
CharlesWatkins
wellcom
what's rephlex?

an overhyped label that releases generic acid and whenever they do all the hipsters love it

you ever heard Bogdan? did you get the Chaos AD thing? J.P. Buckle ? Cylob ? Lory D ? Soundmurderer? Even Caustic Window ? Drexciya ?

i don't even think most of that is hipster, and for sure it's not generic acid.

So once again, you're just saying stupid shit to be a troll. How long has it been now? 6-7 years? In that time, i figure you must have at least gone through puberty, yeah?
March 07, 2013 12:50PM
anexium
wellcom

Thought they were signed to Warp?

CH-VOX was released on rephlex.
March 07, 2013 01:32PM
hardoff
CharlesWatkins
wellcom
what's rephlex?

you ever heard Bogdan? did you get the Chaos AD thing? J.P. Buckle ? Cylob ? Lory D ? Soundmurderer? Even Caustic Window ? Drexciya ?

i don't even think most of that is hipster, and for sure it's not generic acid.

So once again, you're just saying stupid shit to be a troll. How long has it been now? 6-7 years? In that time, i figure you must have at least gone through puberty, yeah?

im not saying stupid shit to be a troll, thats just how you interpret it cause you are exactly the type i am talking about. you're a new school hipster (the kind that places themselves above traditional hipsters but dont realize they are the new breed, and call everyone else trolls).

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2013 01:35PM by CharlesWatkins.
March 07, 2013 06:49PM
Can some1 explain to me what a Hipster is? Not being a dick I literaly have no idea. People on the internet say it all the time but Ive never heard any1 use the term in real life and really dont know what it means!
March 07, 2013 07:24PM
thats a loaded question but this is a pretty good stab at it:

Mark Greif, a founder of n+1 and an assistant professor at The New School, in a New York Times editorial, states that "hipster" is often used by youth from disparate economic backgrounds to jockey for social position. He questions the contradictory nature of the label, and the way that no one thinks of themselves as a hipster: "Paradoxically, those who used the insult were themselves often said to resemble hipsters — they wore the skinny jeans and big eyeglasses, gathered in tiny enclaves in big cities, and looked down on mainstream fashions and 'tourists.' " He believes the much-cited difficulty in analyzing the term stems from the fact that any attempt to do so provokes universal anxiety, since it "calls everyone’s bluff." Like Arsel and Thompson, he draws from Distinction: A Social Critique of the Judgement of Taste by Pierre Bourdieu to conclude:

You can see how hipster neighborhoods are crossroads where young people from different origins, all crammed together, jockey for social gain. One hipster subgroup’s strategy is to disparage others as "liberal arts college grads with too much time on their hands"; the attack is leveled at the children of the upper middle class who move to cities after college with hopes of working in the "creative professions." These hipsters are instantly declassed, reservoired in abject internships and ignored in the urban hierarchy — but able to use college-taught skills of classification, collection and appreciation to generate a superior body of cultural "cool."

They, in turn, may malign the "trust fund hipsters." This challenges the philistine wealthy who, possessed of money but not the nose for culture, convert real capital into "cultural capital" (Bourdieu's most famous coinage), acquiring subculture as if it were ready-to-wear. (Think of Paris Hilton in her trucker hat.) Both groups, meanwhile, look down on the couch-­surfing, old-clothes-wearing hipsters who seem most authentic but are also often the most socially precarious — the lower-middle-class young, moving up through style, but with no backstop of parental culture or family capital. They are the bartenders and boutique clerks who wait on their well-to-do peers and wealthy tourists. Only on the basis of their cool clothes can they be "superior": hipster knowledge compensates for economic immobility.[19]

Greif's efforts puts the term "hipster" into a socioeconomic framework rooted in the petty bourgeois tendencies of a youth generation unsure of their future social status. The cultural trend is indicative of a social structure with heightened economic anxiety and lessened class mobility

[en.wikipedia.org])
March 07, 2013 07:32PM
March 07, 2013 07:37PM
that cartoon explained the term a lot more than the bollocks charles cut & pasted! thanks. Still dont really get it though guessing its more a US thing?
March 07, 2013 07:43PM
I think Nathan Barley is satirising hipsters no?
March 07, 2013 07:47PM
was it? Saw a few episodes of that. Think I might be starting to get what it means also found this article on the guardian

[www.guardian.co.uk]

is it basically all them kids in clubs now-a-days who are younger more attractive and have way skinner jeans than me? Anyhow fuck it think i've already wasted too much time trying to figure out what a hipster is!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2013 07:48PM by Kirm.
March 07, 2013 07:48PM
sorry i couldn't find a colorful cartoon or mainstream news outlet article to spoonfeed you, i figured you might be able to handle something as advanced as wikipedia,

but its true that this is all stuff from years ago. i never actually used the term hipster myself until it became ironically cool to do so in 2013 now that it has passed, much to the chagrin of people like Qryqt. I am referring to the new blood of hipsters who listen to Autechre and Aphex Twin, and form their main identities via the internet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2013 07:51PM by CharlesWatkins.
March 07, 2013 07:49PM
i wanted you to tell me what you meant by hipster not copy some shite off wiki
March 07, 2013 07:51PM
what a min lets see if am getting this right does you dissing "mainstream news" and cartoons make you a fucking hipster!?
March 07, 2013 07:53PM
i guess so, but if you're implying that i was dissing mainstream news and/or cartoons that's wrong, i was merely referencing them because you didnt seem like you wanted to take the time to read the wikipedia article which was from more of an academic viewpoint.
March 07, 2013 07:55PM
I did read it, but it didnt make much sense to me. Sorry maybe am just thick!
March 07, 2013 08:33PM
Things i like about CharlesWatkins:

- how he is completely inarticulate and that he has to keep saying things like "sorry i can't spoonfeed you" or "thats just how you interpret it" because he can't express any of his gnat-brained ideas clearly.

- he knows of Autechre now! for 5 or 6 years he spent on the mu board and this one and only knew of aphex twin.

- he's moved away from calling people tools and now calls them tool-bags/hipsters/douches.

- Since his last banning, he checked every day for months to see if registration was open. Finally his chance to shine! Maybe they'll love me this time! THOSE DOUCHETOOLS, i mean...colleges in EDM production!

- his fake contributions to technical producing questions. did you see how he said DAW in that thread? last we heard from him he was filtering amen breaks. can't wait to see what he's made next, filtered think breaks?

- he's got so many chicks knocking at his trouser door that he's asking their references and previous boyfriends. If he can't love himself, who can?

- he's got tons of friends and sibling friends who define a whole hipster culture and are into shallowly dropping the name autechre when it comes to EDM discussions. he always rolls his eyes and says REAL EDM IS AFX and shows off the tattoo on his ankle.
March 07, 2013 10:17PM
hey man, can I let you know this is a serious case of mistaken identity. before you embarrass yourself further. since you take this place so seriously, if i were you i would double check my detective work before going off like that. you've already shown everyone how butthurt you still are about this guy. who apparently did a real good job of trolling you. cause it seems you are still hurtin years later, but i will give you credit for mentioning amen breaks, filters, and the think break. good job on that one.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2013 10:19PM by CharlesWatkins.
March 07, 2013 10:19PM
well nevermind then.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login