Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

the production thread

Posted by piranha 
the production thread
March 16, 2010 02:09PM
what comes first, reverb, eq, or compression?
Re: the production thread
March 16, 2010 02:14PM
What u effecting? What u trying to achieve?
March 16, 2010 02:19PM
i'm new when it comes to all of this.
any help would be appreciated.
March 16, 2010 03:04PM
practice. Make mistakes. You might come up with some awesome noises.

I have bits of each of those on everything; on each individual track; in a different order each time.
March 16, 2010 03:28PM
here's a good production blog i found recently.

[kimlajoie.wordpress.com]
March 16, 2010 03:55PM
I certainly wouldn't normally apply compression after reverb.

Usually: EQ->Compression->Reverb, no?
March 16, 2010 04:18PM
it depends. Mix engineers compress reverb returns to make the rooms breath sometimes, having the ambience suck and blow is a really nice effect. If you want to enhance a certain frequency in a certain track, eq then compress. So if you have a sample that has an undesirable top but you want the bass, heavily eqing the bass frequencies then compressing hard is a good alternative to straight up filtering. This is because you are emphasising the peaks you want, and then the compressor is working with what you want it to work on. Compression then eq gives a more natural result as you are adding dynamics back to the compressed signal. Mastering however usually eqs first then compresses. But th old adage stands true, trust your ears!
March 16, 2010 04:49PM
hmm, that's a good point about EQing after compression. I'll have to experiment with that, cheers.
March 16, 2010 04:54PM
ive had good results before on some things by putting a send to the reverb before compression, so the reverb is a whole seperate thing to that signal chain. not always the way to go though
March 16, 2010 05:19PM
i've been adding compressors into all parts of the signal chain lately. sidechaining my drums into the bass part, then compressing both the drum and bass parts separately again, and then a light compression on the master out.

compressors are cheap when you make them yourself digitally. :)

another production tip would be to get really well acquainted with effects that convert mono-> stereo. basic one that i picked up from folk here years ago is just to delay one side by a millisecond or 2. i make all my own stuff from scratch, but i'm sure there must be a million 'stereo dimension' vst's and whatnot out there to choose from.
March 16, 2010 06:03PM
Yeah, I used that delay trick for a while :)

though sometimes your ears interpret the left/right delay as directional information. so a tiny delay on the right channel makes it sound like it's coming from the left haha. I use this simple VST called "psp pseudo stereo" now. Not sure how it works, think it might do a similar thing but with a specific freq band instead of the whole spectrum.
March 16, 2010 06:48PM
new york/parallel compression is a thing i have been doing recently. The bass and the drums. Gets the rhythm section properley rocking together.
March 16, 2010 07:38PM
unless you want to use eq and compression as effects, use them as little as possible....the more processing...the more weird shit that happens to the signal....less processing cleaner signal etc

cant really believe i am contributing as in my view breaking every rule is fun and gets the creativity levels up....that said....it depends what you want to achieve...
March 16, 2010 07:42PM
someone explain what sidechaining is please!!! i know it's a fundamental concept but i have no idea.
March 16, 2010 07:43PM
if you use logic...careful of your gain in and out of plugins....its often quite hard to know exactly whats going on unlike protools or ableton which seem to make things more obvious although abletons gain structure often has me baffled....digital distortion can creep up on you pretty easily.....

some good tutorials here....

[nextstepaudio.com]
March 16, 2010 07:51PM
side chaining's most popular use is to reduce the bass everytime the bass drum hits....therefore allowing the bass drum to really standout.....and preventing masking...you send the bass drum track to the sidechain input of a compressor on the bass track....high ratio and low threshold on the compressor...attack and release to taste...and wham....used a lot in trance.....i reckon its overused and gimmicky...but the theory can be applied to any effect with a sidechain input....which can be seriously fun
March 16, 2010 09:36PM
The signal follower in renoise allows you to 'sidechain' any effect parameter. It's bloody amazing.
March 16, 2010 09:54PM
Mattrock
The signal follower in renoise allows you to 'sidechain' any effect parameter. It's bloody amazing.

wow thanks man, I hadn't noticed this new feature. This is exactlyyyyy what i've been waiting for

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2010 09:54PM by weyheyhey.
March 16, 2010 10:16PM
fuck really?

jesus
March 16, 2010 10:18PM
this is good cos i use and understand renoise, so perhaps i will be able to use and understand sidechaining now :)
March 16, 2010 10:23PM
Yeah. The signal follower is incredible.
Beefy kicks and bass now and forever more.
March 16, 2010 11:16PM
I like to imagine side-chain compression as if it's someone like Kate Nash. I punch her in the face and she goes quiet for a millisecond, but then she just keeps on singing. Until I punch her in the face again. Depending on how much power I put into my punch and how long I keep it lodged in her face, the singing comes back at different speeds. It's all about the attack, the release and the threshold.
March 16, 2010 11:17PM
The signal follower linked up to the hydra device (linked to loads of other plugins) is bonkers.
March 16, 2010 11:28PM
haha. i was going to mention that renoise signal follower but i decided against it for some reason. but yeah, it's pretty spiffing.
March 16, 2010 11:39PM
i used to love renoise but ended up doing the regular daw thing for ease of view...the new view makes things so much easier

sick program
March 17, 2010 01:33AM
>>Yeah, I used that delay trick for a while :)
I use this simple VST called "psp pseudo stereo" now. Not sure how it works, think it might do a similar thing but with a specific freq band instead of the whole spectrum.<<

yeah, that's how i set mine up too. what i figured, is that you generally want to have the bass more centred, and then have the high end dancing around in the stereo field.

so my stereo expander has a frequency cutoff slider too, to send more of the bass end through raw when need be.

also, as you said, the mind sometimes plays tricks, and even though the right is delayed, it sounds like the left is coming later. to fix this, i just added a L<-->R switch to invert the stereo when i want to.
March 17, 2010 03:13AM
I sold my monitors, and so now I can't hear shit. However, it's a blessing!!!!! Because now I've been having so much fun with making new tracks and experimenting- LIKE THE OLD DAYZ- instead of chiseling away at ear candy for hours without accomplishing much.

So before it was like I made a lot of velvet sheets that took forever to sew together to make something.. Now I'm making paper towel sheets, but I'm forming them into passenger ready aircraft. Now if I could only get my aircraft to be made of velvet, then I'll finally be able to cum laser.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2010 03:14AM by peace ♥.
March 17, 2010 08:06AM
The Ozone 4 'mastering' plugin, which is good for 'home mastering', if that's not too dirty a word, has an excellent multi-band stereo imager which uses delay. I quite like it.
March 17, 2010 08:12AM
either aircraft has little chance of flying either way peace my boy. 'Welcome aboard bedding airlines, Your hostesses will be serving pillows and eye candy shortly after we don't take off.'
March 17, 2010 09:37AM
My comment sounded really dull after Peace's flight of fancy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login